- Glossary of Useful Words from Practical Marshallese
- Lesson 1: The letters and sounds of Marshallese
- Lesson 2: Beginning Marshallese Phrases
- Lesson 3: Numbers, time, age, and price
- Lesson 4: Marshallese Words from English
- Lesson 5: Marshallese Subject Pronouns
- Lesson 6: Verbs that work like adjectives
- Lesson 7: The present tense
- Lesson 8: The Past Tense
- Lesson 9: The future tense
- Lesson 10: Near future tense
- Lesson 11: Location
- Lesson 12: Object pronouns
- Lesson 13: The emphatic pronouns
- Lesson 14: Negatives
- Lesson 15: Wrapping up pronouns and tenses
- Lesson 16: Yes/No questions
- Lesson 17: Do you know?, Yes I know, No I don’t know
- Lesson 18: Can you?, Yes I can, No I can’t
- Lesson 19: Wh-questions
- Lesson 20: More about wh-questions
- Lesson 21: Definite and Indefinite Articles, and Plurals
- Lesson 22: Possessives
- Lesson 23: House of, time of, place of
- Lesson 24: With
- Lesson 25: I like, I don’t like
- Lesson 26: There is, there are, there are many
- Lesson 27: I have, you have, I don’t have, you don’t have
- Lesson 28: I have a pencil with me
- Lesson 29: I have one, I have two, I have many
- Lesson 30: Do you have?
- Lesson 31: Not yet and never
- Lesson 32: Perfect Past
- Lesson 33: Negative Perfect Past
- Lesson 34: Perfect Past Questions
- Lesson 35: Adverbs
- Lesson 36: Comparatives in Marshallese
- Lesson 37: After, before
- Lesson 38: More about questions
- Lesson 39: Which fish, what kind of fish, you and who else?
- Lesson 40: Conditionals in Marshallese
- Practical Marshallese
The Marshallese Alphabet
The Marshallese alphabet is a modified Latin alphabet with diacritical marks that designate different phonemes.
The bar that appears on top of some letters, i.e. ‘ā’, ‘ñ’, ‘ō’ and ‘ū’, is called a macron. The macron can be replaced by a tilde over the ‘n’.
Some letters appear with a dot below, i.e. ‘ḷ’, ‘ṃ’, ‘ṇ’, and ‘ọ’. Traditionally, the diacritic used under letters was the cedilla. However Marshall Islands regulations allows for a dot or a comma to be used.
A Ā B D E I J K L Ḷ M Ṃ N Ṇ Ñ O Ō Ọ P R T U Ū W
a ā b d e i j k l ḷ m ṃ n ṇ ñ o ō ọ ṇ p r t u ū w
The letters are included here to make it easy to copy and paste.